Friday, June 3, 2011

In The Mirror...

In the Mirror…
Hi there. My name is Jaimee’, most just call me Jai. I am 31 years young, a single mother of two, with big dreams. It’s just too bad I didn’t have this same motivation when I graduated from Lynnwood High in 1998. Oh well, no time to dwell on the past. Although some of the decisions I have made in my life may not have been the best, I am thankful for what I have and for who I am today.
Naturally, I did not voluntarily want to take English 101. It is one of my Pre-requisite courses for Nursing. My dream is to become a Head Nurse in a hospital, preferably in the ER department. I had a lot of dreams when I was younger. It wasn’t until I became a mom, that I knew nursing was where I needed to be.
When I started this class, I was more than overwhelmed. It’s sad to say, but now that we are at the end… I’m still overwhelmed. Granted, I have not attended school in over 12 years, but I had no idea my writing skills were this poor.  Each assignment proposed a challenge to me. Not necessarily the topics, but comprehending the actual assignment itself was most difficult.
As an adolescent, I struggled in reading and comprehending, but was complimented when I had the opportunity to write freely. So, when asked to choose four writings to include in this portfolio, I knew I would be including at least one of my blogs. My favorite one is; “What’s in your Wallet”, and this is the writing I will be using for choice number one, critical thinking piece. This was part of our Identity unit which I think is the one unit I benefited from most.  I enjoyed writing this blog mainly because I was able to write freely, without much thought. Those are the types of writings I enjoy. It was about me, and who better to analyze me, than me? The things found in someone’s wallet makes a huge statement, and I never thought about it until that assignment.
In this portfolio, I will be including three additional writings. A revision piece titled; “Communities Shape Our Identity”. I chose this piece to revise because aside from grammar mistakes and a few vague statements, I think it was one of my best pieces besides my most recent tradition paper.
I have chosen my first Discussion Board post as a writing that reflects my awareness of audience. In this post I explained my thoughts on how important traditions are and the affects it can have on our lives. This was my opinion, and before I wrote it, I had the opportunity to read others thoughts and that made it easier to express mine to them.  My final writing included is writer’s choice, and since I love my family and what we stand for, I have chosen my blog titled “Lee Family Reunions… Oh how I miss being a wee-little one.”
When I look back over this quarter, I remember my struggles in the beginning and how I thought I would never make it through this class. Well, I made it, and the challenges I faced made me stronger and more confident in the challenges I will face in the years to come. I’m ready… Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment